LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Bought a Lemon Car - My Options Under Australian Consumer Law?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Alexis, 1 March 2016.

1. Alexis

Alexis Member

Hi,

I bought a lemon car for $14,000 approx. on the 4/12/2014 that came with the statutory warranty for motor car sales as it was under 10 years old. Prior to purchase, the car was inspected (pre-purchase vehicle inspection) by an authorized vic roads mechanic / tester.

4 months after purchase, the car had an electronic issue (I can't recall what it was exactly), which cost me around $3,000. I have now owned the car just over a year and have incurred almost $18,000 approx. of mechanical bills, due to the car always fauting. I would like to know if I can take action against either the seller of the car or the vehicle inspection company?

I am absolutely appalled and believe that either, or both mentioned parties knew I would encounter many faults and major mechanical issues within 12 months of purchase.

If you could let me know my options under Australian Consumer Law and what I can do about this issue, I would be forever grateful.

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member