Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Bought a Lemon Car - My Options Under Australian Consumer Law?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Alexis, 1 March 2016.

1. Alexis

Alexis Member

Hi,

I bought a lemon car for $14,000 approx. on the 4/12/2014 that came with the statutory warranty for motor car sales as it was under 10 years old. Prior to purchase, the car was inspected (pre-purchase vehicle inspection) by an authorized vic roads mechanic / tester.

4 months after purchase, the car had an electronic issue (I can't recall what it was exactly), which cost me around $3,000. I have now owned the car just over a year and have incurred almost $18,000 approx. of mechanical bills, due to the car always fauting. I would like to know if I can take action against either the seller of the car or the vehicle inspection company?

I am absolutely appalled and believe that either, or both mentioned parties knew I would encounter many faults and major mechanical issues within 12 months of purchase.

If you could let me know my options under Australian Consumer Law and what I can do about this issue, I would be forever grateful.

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...