NSW Loss of driver licence and $920 fine

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stockmans

23 March 2020
I was travelling on a country road speeding yesterday to get to sydney. I lost 5 points the fine is $920 dollars and the penalty notice says class a 30kph over.
I have just gotten a new job and really need my liscence given I am in the country and need to be on the road for work travel also. I understand I lose my liscence for 3 months once the end notify s me .
I have heard that I can ask for a 12 month good behaviour bond wherein that period I cannot loose a point or the penalty doubles. I have learnt my lesson and would do anything to retain my liscence. Is this true and how do I go about this apparently I have to organise this before I receive the RMS notice...I'm stuck and need advice quickly.
Thankyou

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I was travelling on a country road speeding yesterday to get to sydney. I lost 5 points the fine is $920 dollars and the penalty notice says class a 30kph over.
I have just gotten a new job and really need my liscence given I am in the country and need to be on the road for work travel also. I understand I lose my liscence for 3 months once the end notify s me .
I have heard that I can ask for a 12 month good behaviour bond wherein that period I cannot loose a point or the penalty doubles. I have learnt my lesson and would do anything to retain my liscence. Is this true and how do I go about this apparently I have to organise this before I receive the RMS notice...I'm stuck and need advice quickly.
Thankyou
You need to contact RMS and ask them, they will provide all the info for you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You can start by reading this.

Much depends on how many points you'd lost prior to this latest offence.
Does the offence for which you were infringed come with automatic suspension?

Be mindful of the timeframes involved - none of which are flexible.

Stockmans

23 March 2020
You can start by reading this.

Much depends on how many points you'd lost prior to this latest offence.
Does the offence for which you were infringed come with automatic suspension?

Be mindful of the timeframes involved - none of which are flexible.
I had lost 5 points in January of last year

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
It typically goes one of two ways.

Sometimes, police will suspend you on the spot.
If not that, then you get a Notice of Suspension from RMS.
This more typical for a points based suspension.

Know this - and I say it because I get a question about it almost every week:

--> If you never receive the notice, because your address is out of date in RMS records,
or because you are using some dodgy address, there is no grace period, no appeal, you can be proscuted for Drive While Suspended,
and it's.all.on.you.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
...I have heard that I can ask for a 12 month good behaviour bond...
Perhaps you are thinking about the Good Behaviour Period.
Let's be clear - it's not a bond.

The Good Behaviour Period is not the same thing, as, say, court-electing the infringement,
losing, and ending up with Section 10 bond as the outcome.
You can read a bit about it here.