Loaned a Friend Money and Can't Get it Back. What Legal Options Do I Have ?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pompah

4 July 2014
I loaned a friend $2500.00 via bank transfer with a verbal agreement to pay it back in $500.00 lots. After 12 months still no payments and when asked for it no further contact from him. What steps can I take to be repaid. Can I go to his employer?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Pompah,
Which state/territory are you located in?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with John R.
And just to be clear - no, you can't "go to his employer".

Pompah

4 July 2014
Hi @Pompah,
  1. As a starting point, you may consider drafting and sending a Letter of Demand to your "friend". ArtsLaw has a sample Letter of Demand and further information about debt recovery of small claims in Queensland.
  2. If your "friend" does not respond, you can take your debt dispute to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Good morning John,
Thank you for your help and advice as it is just what I needed . I thought there was an agency I could go to but did not know which or where to find the right one. I will follow your advice and will certainly update you of the outcome. You're a gem.

Reactions: John R

Pompah

4 July 2014
I agree with John R.
And just to be clear - no, you can't "go to his employer".

Hi Tim,
Thank you for your interest and I will follow the advice given, I worded the reference to "his employer" very badly as I meant to ask if I could approach him regarding if my "friend" was still employed with the Company or not. If he was no longer working there it would probably indicate that he { friend} had done a bunk. Again thank you.