NSW Lent money to a friend

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Karan

10 July 2017
Hi about 2 months ago i lent $20,000 to a friend and had a verbal agreement that he can borrow it for 12 months. I only have text messages to show the loan was for 12months. I also transferred the money online with the refference loan. But now 2months forward i need the money back to send overseas and asked for it back asap and he is refussing to saying that he hasnt got it. He can only return it close to 12months. I have no written contract or agreement to state how long the loan was. He even asked me to sign a contract to say he was borrowing the money for 12months at the beginning but i didnt. He was asking me to cover my back. But now i need it now so do i have any leg to stand on to claim the money now?????

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
If the terms of your agreement was 12 months, you are stuck with that - especially if that can be shown in written communication. Imagine if a bank lent you a 30 year home loan, and then wanted the money back in 2 years?

Matt King

8 February 2017
Sydney and Wollongong
Hi about 2 months ago i lent $20,000 to a friend and had a verbal agreement that he can borrow it for 12 months. I only have text messages to show the loan was for 12months. I also transferred the money online with the refference loan. But now 2months forward i need the money back to send overseas and asked for it back asap and he is refussing to saying that he hasnt got it. He can only return it close to 12months. I have no written contract or agreement to state how long the loan was. He even asked me to sign a contract to say he was borrowing the money for 12months at the beginning but i didnt. He was asking me to cover my back. But now i need it now so do i have any leg to stand on to claim the money now?????

Yes you have a right to recover it which I can assist you with.