Lied about Marriage - How Do I Get a Divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nafahatur

12 July 2014
Hello quick question. I've been married February last year, but I never lived with my husband. I always stayed with my family. I have one child but she's under department of community service and now my mother is her full time carer. I've lied to everyone that I was married. How can I apply for divorce? I don't have income nor do I work.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @Nafahatur,
To clarify, you got married last year but don't live with your husband and now want a divorce?
Which state/territory are you located in?

Toqual

10 July 2014
You claim you've been married since February, then claim you've lied to everyone that you were married and you want to divorce. I find your question confusing.

Nafahatur

12 July 2014
I didn't lie about I me n him just kept quiet about it cause none of our family member accepted him nor his family accepted me so we have nothing in command what so ever he just want his papers done so he can stay in Australia

Toqual

10 July 2014
As @John R said above, which state/territory are you located in? The divorce system varies between states.

Toqual

10 July 2014

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The divorce system varies between states.
Actually, both the Marriage Act and the Family Law Act apply across the Commonwealth.
It's the law around de facto relationships that varies by state.

Do I understand correctly that you married this man for the purpose of his obtaining citizenship?

Toqual

10 July 2014
Actually, both the Marriage Act and the Family Law Act apply across the Commonwealth

Just realised that as I went to get her a link to the Kit! Haha.