VIC South African Marriage and Divorce - Does Australia Know?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cee

15 January 2015
Long story short I was married and then divorced in South Africa. I have no documentation that shows that I got a divorce. How do I found out whether Australia even knows I was married under family law? And how do I go about getting the documentation that says I'm divorced? I've asked the ex a million times and he hasn't done anything about giving me anything. I wasn't present for the divorce hearing as I was in Australia at the time.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Cee,

Chances are, if you are applying to marry in Australia, you will need to show or satisfy that you are not currently married elsewhere. If you don't have a copy of the divorce document, you should contact the department in South Africa that deals with births, deaths and marriages. They would most likely have processed the divorce papers and will have a copy of the papers at your request. If you do not know which department deals with divorce, you should contact your local South African embassy to enquire. Perhaps, they can issue you with a single status certificate, which will evidence your eligibility to marry.

This page from Birth, Deaths and Marriages may help: "overseas weddings" and "overseas weddings FAQs".

Reactions: Tim W