Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

SA Cheating Husband - How Soon can I Get a Divorce?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Kate A, 27 March 2015.

1. Kate A

Kate A Member

I have been married to my husband for less than a year and we have never lived together since we live in different countries. I have just found him cheating on me. How soon can I get a divorce under family law?

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

In Australia, you must wait a year following separation before you are able to apply for a divorce. However, if you can somehow prove that you entered into the marriage under duress, you may be able to get the marriage annulled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Additionally, in Australia if you have been married for less than two years and want to apply for a divorce then you will need to either attend counselling to discuss the possibility or reconciliation with your spouse or see permission of the Family Court to apply for a divorce.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tracy B

Tracy B Well-Known Member