NSW Lent a Friend Money Who Hasn't Paid Me Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Wendy1978

28 January 2015
Hi there,
First off thanks for any advice, its very much appreciated. I've lent a friend $20,000 (personal loan) and its been a year and she isn't putting any effort in paying it back, also there has been lies that she will but never has come through. She has no money and is unemployed so I am worried she will just declare bankrupt so she doesn't have to pay it back. The agreement was verbal but there is bank transaction records.

What should I do, or will she get away just declaring bankruptcy?

The choices I have right now that I am deciding is one) go after her and get her bankrupt, but i'm not sure the effect, or two) to just wait for the best and hopefully she gets a job and hopefully she pays me back a little at a time?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
First step is get something in writing from her acknowledging the debt, even if is text messages. Email is better.

Then see if you can arrange a payment plan while she is unemployed at say $10/week, and enter into a new payment plan when employed.

If she refuses to enter into a payment plan, then court seems like your only option.

Reactions: John R