NSW Laptop busted by repairer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ceege

10 April 2022
Purchased new high-end laptop in 2019 for $2500. Laptop has both 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD. ACER Predator Helios 300. Came with 1 year manufacturer + 3 years extended warranties (didn't pay for extended warranty it was "thrown in"). First failed 2 months outside manufacturers warranty HDD died and connector for power supply was too loose so the computer would not power up. Harvey Norman sent it back to ACER after sitting on it for 3 months ("ACER won't send us a CON Note and we aren't paying to send it back"). Acer kept it for another 3 months then demanded $900 to repair it. I was not going to pay for them to repair it. ACER then refused to return the Laptop (no reason given just we have it and you aren't getting it back). After much threat of legal action they returned it another 3 months later claiming that they had replaced the HDD. Really? Unfortunately for them, I have a habit of signing my drives on their labels and my signed drive was still in its bay. How can you tell if the machine won't power up that the replacement drive is actually working? ACER also claimed that the machine had been dropped. Their evidence? A small piece of plastic approx 1cm x 1mm was missing from the back of the lower casing, a sort of spar. Well excuse me! I have never dropped that machine in my life, nor any machine that I have owned. It should be noted that the machine was shipped to and from ACER via courier. and we have all seen what couriers do with packages marked "fragile". They get extra rough treatment!

I had to move areas. So the original Harvey Norman store sent the paperwork from ACER to the local Harvey Norman store. Unfortunately, there was smarmy know it all 16 year old running the tech counter. I am an older woman so naturally, I'm stupid, despite the fact that I was writing software looooooooooong before he was even a thought to his parents nevermind wet his nappies. He uttered such drivel that I have never heard since the car dealer tried to te me my car refused to start because you cannot park modern cars underneath mobile phone towers (the key chip reader was faulty!). "You can't use that machine as a laptop!" "Um they make laptop desks so you don't get your legs burnt", "You can't use that machine as a laptop because I know everything about everything!" I complained about being tired of having to replace my software on the D: drive. "You can't install software on D: drive it's only for data". Meanwhile, the rest of the tech staff who had been attending to others were all standing off to the side laughing at his disrespect to me. I told him, as in "read my lips!" I DO NOT WANT THE LOWER CASING REPLACED! The small piece of plastic that was missing has no function except decoration. But no, I'm a smart 16 y/o and I know better than you. So he told the extended warranty people to replace the lower case as well as all the other repairs. Another 3 months (delays nothing to so with COVID, "I can be an a/hole, so I'm gonna!) Well, after it finally came back, the lid hinge was broken. I tried to tell Mr smarmy. "You're just a stupid old woman". Oh dear, he got fired, wonder why?

Well, I'm still stuck with a laptop that now has a broken hinge. The screen is in danger of damage and the other hinge is at risk due to the extra stress. I don't have the money to buy another laptop, Harvey norman has offered me $1500 for the laptop. I cannot replace it with that money. I can't find another with similar specs. I tried an independent repairer but ACER won't respond to his requests for parts prices. Note the laptop has been out of my possession for some 15 months since purchase. I have a witness to the attempt by me to report the new damage. What is the best way to go from here?