VIC Is My Son Liable for the Debt?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jacqoo

18 September 2015
My son has received a bill today 18/09/2015 dating from Sept 2013 from an educational department in Vic. He undertook an apprenticeship while employed with a business which was meant to pay for the course modules, the owner of the business went bankrupt. The business was sold and my son continued on with the new owner for a few months then left for a position with a new company in NSW. Is he liable for the debt?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Has your son ever signed anything saying he will accept liability for training costs under certain circumstances (eg leaving employment, etc) with either the ex-employer or the training provider? Chances are if it is a Tafe, he may be responsible for the costs.

Who is the 'educational department'? Tafe, private education company, other?

Jacqoo

18 September 2015
I don't know if he signed anything of that sort, I have to talk to him. He's visiting tomorrow. It was with TAFE. I don't understand why it has taken so long for them to send him the bill. On his wages he doesn't have a spare $960 just lying around.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Also call the TAFE and ask them to explain it to you. You will probably get a better answer from them than your son (I'm going on personal experience here).

If it is all legit, ask for a payment plan. May not get one, but no harm asking.

Jacqoo

18 September 2015
Thanks Rod. Turns out he has spoken to Tafe and is now on a payment plan. His employer who went into insolvency was supposed to pay for it but never did, and because the new employer decided not to continue with the apprenticeship. My boy had to pay. Chalk it up to experience I guess.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I'm curious, is there anything in writing (or email etc) where the employer agrees to pay for the course?
The end result will probably be the same, but I'm interested to think it through.

Jacqoo

18 September 2015
Hi Tim I thought there would have been. I also thought TAFE would get payment before the course started but it seems not. I guess we should get a copy of the original paper work from TAFE, but I doubt the terms laid out between employer and my son would be there.