Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Separation and Property Settlement - Will I be Liable to Pay Debt?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Dantahls, 8 November 2015.

1. Dantahls

Dantahls Member

I've been separated 10 months. My husband has decided to go bankrupt instead of agreeing to a property settlement and will have a large sum of debt from all the rental properties that we had which are all In his name. He has told me today if he goes bankrupt, I will have to go bankrupt, too as I am also liable to pay half of this debt?!

Is this true? :(

2. JS79

JS79 Well-Known Member

If bankruptcy occurs after separation but before a court order has been made, you as the non-bankrupt spouse can:

a. Seek orders from the Family Court for the settlement of your property against your spouse's trustee;
    b. you can give a notice of claim against the assets collected by the bankruptcy trustee and then apply to the courts for an injunction to prevent the trustee from distributing the assets further;
    c. You will be able to apply for spousal maintenance.

I suggest you seek advice from your family lawyer (if you have been to see one).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dantahls

Dantahls Member

Thank you.
    I don't have a lawyer
    Can these forms be obtained from the family court?

4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Given the complexity of the situation and the amount of money involved,
    you would be well advised to get one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...