Is 'In Play' Sports Betting Legal in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bob

16 April 2014
I know that sports betting is obviously legal but I heard recently from someone that 'in play' betting - i.e. placing bets after the start of the event is illegal?

What's the go in Qld?

S

Sophea

The Interactive Gambling Act 2001 (the IGA) makes it an offence to provide or advertise interactive gambling to Australians. Sports betting where bets are made 'in play' (i.e. bets are able to be made after the start of the game or event) are considered to be interactive gambling and are therefore illegal in Australia. However there is nothing wrong with sports betting, online or otherwise where bets are placed prior to the start of the match.

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
Hi Iggy,
In Australia, the Interactive Gambling Act makes it illegal for punters to make online bets on the winner once play has commenced. However, local customers can make ‘in play’ bets via telephone. You may have noticed the Twenty20 cricket had ‘in play’ betting, which allowed punters to bet on the outcome of a game after it started.

You might find this article to be an interesting read.