SA Online Betting Company Inadvertently Released Data - What To Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Andy

15 December 2014
So I gamble via online sports betting.

Now they recently banned my account without a warning and just deleted it. They said they'll return whatever money I had in there and whatever will be left after the pending bets (still waiting as it is weekend).

I'm assuming they banned me for my constant findings of their errors. eg, listing $12 per $1 bet return as a mistake for $1.20 per $1. I've found many of these. and as written in contract when you sign up, any mistakes due to human error, etc. they can cancel the bet and just return the money. which they have done.

Now here is where it gets interesting. As I had a few pending bets, I asked for a copy of my betting statement where I could see what bets remained as I could not remember what i had punted on.

They sent me a file, with everyone who has betted with the company's names, usernames, what they put money on, and how much they put on, dating back to 2012.

1. Would I get in trouble if that file was shared around and eventually made it to the internet?
2. Could I get anything out of this for not releasing (blackmail :/)?
3. Any compensation, I would have probably won over $5,000. anywhere up to $10,000, should those bets would have remained?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
1. You should not release the file on the internet as this is breaching other people's privacy information. Sure, the company may be sent you confidential information, but if you leak it or pass it on in any way, you are in every way similarly liable.
2. I would not recommend blackmail
3. No you would not be entitled to compensation for "possible" gains through gambling. The loss is too remote.