NSW Traffic Law Questions Concerning Minor Car Accident?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DSM 70

Active Member
9 March 2015
Last July (2015), my car was involved in a minor car accident when changing lanes. The other car swerved but did not stop. My car stopped but the other car took off through the intersection.

In October 2015, I received a letter from the other car's insurer advising me that their client intends to pursue me for the 'damage' to the other vehicle which is a ute. I contacted the insurer and asked how they got my details as no one stopped. On the letter, it had my address but the vehicle rego was left blank.

I requested information as to how my details were obtained and never heard any more. Now it is Feb 2016 and I reviewed another letter from the insurer for an inflated claim and what seems like excessive damage to their client's car. The quote was obtained 2 months after the incident.

I have again requested more information. The damage on my vehicle, which is a super-mini type is minimal.

1. Is it the Traffic Law in NSW to stop at the scene of an accident to exchange details?

2. Has the other person got a right to claim?

3. How can the other person get my details without a rego number?

4. What is the best way to deal with this? I am insured.


Well-Known Member
10 February 2015
1. - Yes

2. - Yes, if they say you are at fault, you have the right to deny same

3. - Must have gotten your rego! Can't see how else they would have.

4. - Go through your insurance company, that's what you pay them money for.