Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Is Being Scammed a Civil Law Matter?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by shannon w, 10 July 2016.

1. shannon w

shannon w Member

I was recently scammed out of a sum of money by a dodgy service provider. As it turns out, the police have no interest because it is a civil law matter. I have since discovered through an ASIC check that the name and abn is registered to someone else (not the person that scammed me). I don't know if they are in on it together but if not, I want to know if that is enough to get the interest of the law?

Will the police care that someone is issuing invoices pretending to be from a company they have no relation to? Is this another civil matter?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

It is both a civil and criminal matter. Police have no interest because it means paperwork and investigation. Much easier to say it is a civil matter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Gorodetsky likes this.