QLD Iphone Warranty - Options Under Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Homer jay

14 September 2016
I have a iPhone 6 Plus which was replaced only about 15 months ago and now have software problems. I know Apple only gives 12 months warranty but does Australian Consumer Law provide consumers' rights? For a phone worth over $1000, I would have thought it should last longer than 15 months

Glenn Pereira

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
1 July 2017
I have a iPhone 6 Plus which was replaced only about 15 months ago and now have software problems. I know Apple only gives 12 months warranty but does Australian Consumer Law provide consumers' rights? For a phone worth over $1000, I would have thought it should last longer than 15 months

Apple Products and Australian Consumer Law

A reasonable period from date of delivery until the failure becomes apparent

Without limiting consumers’ rights, Apple will provide its own remedies equivalent to those remedies in the consumer guarantee provisions of the Australian Consumer Law at any time within 24 months of the date of purchase. For the avoidance of doubt, Apple acknowledges that the Australian Consumer Law may provide for remedies beyond 24 months for a number of its products.

In my opinion an iPhone should last more than 2 years.

ACL may over ride Apple Warranty.

Should a buyer take a 2 year warranty and pay extra money or is the iPhone covered beyond 1 year under ACL ?

DMLegal

28 May 2018
Relevantly, ACL will protect the new device for 24 months, so you're well within the time covered by the ACL.