VIC Australian Consumer Law - Steam Mop Warranty Issues?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
22 July 2016
Warranty on a steam mop valid for one year. It blew a fuse 14 months after purchase, so it is no longer covered under the warranty, however, as the steam mop was only used once a fortnight I believe it should have lasted longer than 28 uses.

I am a pensioner and have been told I need to spend another $99:00 to purchase a replacement, is this correct under Australian Consumer Law?

Thank you

Kind regards,

S

Sophea

Hi Marianne,

Under Australian Consumer Law retailers and manufacturers are required to warrant that their goods are of acceptable quality. If you don't believe the mop was of acceptable quality, you should write them a letter demanding that they either repair or replace the product, citing the consumer warranty of acceptable quality. You can also threaten to get VIC Consumer Affairs involved.

You can read more about consumer warranties here:

Australian Consumer Law Guarantees - How Can They Protect You? - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au
Consumer Protection: What To Do If Your Australian Consumer Law Guarantees Are Breached - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au
Consumer guarantees | ACCC

22 July 2016
Thank you Sophea, sorry for late reply. I have been in hospital so am behind in my responses.

I will take your suggestion and get in touch with the supplier. Would you believe the replacement mop I purchased started to fall apart after the first use so I now have to complain about two machines!

Regards,