Indictable Offence Summons after Intervention Oder

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

techmaster07

30 September 2019
My sister was in Australia on a tourist visa. Her husband(Australian Citizen) made allegations that my sister tried to kill him and his mother.
My sister received Intervention Order summons (5th August) and she went to court where she consented without admission of allegations in application. Then she flew back to her home country next day.
Last week Police delivered summons for Indictable Offence. My sister is not in the country and she never breached Intervention Orders. Why she received Indictable Offence summons?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
The allegations of threat to kill give rise to both an intervention order and police charges. Should she be represented by a lawyer then she may not have to return to Australia.

Reactions: techmaster07

techmaster07

30 September 2019
The allegations of threat to kill give rise to both an intervention order and police charges. Should she be represented by a lawyer then she may not have to return to Australia.
Thanks for the prompt response.

Is it possible the charges can be dropped? She never accepted the allegations.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
She may have consented "without admissions" but this does not mean the charges get dropped just because she is out of the country.

Reactions: techmaster07