VIC Impact of Assault Charge and Criminal Record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stressed Girl

9 May 2015
I threw an egg at a digger and some of it splashed on the driver. He's charging me with assault.

What are the Impacts from being found guilty of assault. My partner thinks that I will have a criminal record and not be able to travel to some countries. Is this true?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Potentially, yes.
When is your court date?

Stressed Girl

9 May 2015
It only happened today so no court date yet. The guy came over and punched in one of my windows so the police said he would be on a wilful distraction charge. There's been a build up to this issue.

How long would the travel ban last?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
It would not be a ban on you leaving the country.
But a conviction might be a problem getting a visa for some countries, like, say, the USA.

Stressed Girl

9 May 2015
Ok. How long would it stay on my record for? And Can I claim a diminished capacity due to the stress he's caused that built up to this point?

And what is the impact on him for punching in the window?

It would not be a ban on you leaving the country.
But a conviction might be a problem getting a visa for some countries, like, say, the USA.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Have you actually been charged with anything?

Ok. How long would it stay on my record for? And Can I claim a diminished capacity due to the stress he's caused that built up to this point?
And what is the impact on him for punching in the window?
I am not familiar with the Spent Convictions scheme in Victoria.
The facts are to complex, and we don't know enough facts and background, to give you any kind of useful answer here.
It might be time to go see a solicitor yourself.