Immigration Isolation - a Plea for Help

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah8811

29 June 2014
Hello. I'm looking to talk to someone about my partner.

He is from India and has been in Australia for over 2 years possibly more. I'm not exactly sure, but we have been together for approximately 15 months and we are talking about moving in together and starting a family soon, but for the past few months my partner has been in immigration isolation within Melbourne, Victoria, Australia and has his case taking place withing 2 weeks to see what will happen.

I'm just wondering if there is possibly anything I can do under immigration law to help him stay and reside within Australia with me as I don't want him to go back to India. He has a good job and is good to the community, so I'm asking if there is anyone out there that understands me and could help me with my situation, please.

Thank you

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Sarah8811,
What do you mean by immigration isolation?

Sarah8811

29 June 2014
sorry im not quiet sure if thats what it is called but he is being held by imigration until his case to see wether if he goes back to india or not.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Sarah8811,
  1. I assume that the Department of Immigration and Border Protection is holding your partner because he has breached his visa conditions (or similar)?
  2. You may consider contacting the Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre (RILC). They offer in-person advice on Monday evenings by appointment and telephone advice during select hours on Wednesday and Fridays.
Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.