VIC Immigrating Family to Australia for Parents and Sibling

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

senma

2 April 2015
I have been trying to find a way to bring my parents and sibling to immigrate to Australia, but had no much luck. I immigrated here 15 years ago and can't find the way under immigration law to bring my family to come and live here with me. I have been to few lawyers and it appears that the only way to bring them here is to pay in excess of $150,000 and this is only for parents as the sibling is another issue and even the money would not help me to bring him to Australia on permanent basis.

Is there a way that I can immigrate my family to Australia?

Mitchell Kelly

8 February 2015
If you are a permanent resident or citizen, you can sponsor your parents for a parent visa (the cost of $150,000 is an accurate estimation for the whole process for 2 parents) provided your parents meet the criteria. Your sibling could only be included in the application if he/she is dependent on your parents for everyday living (physically, financially etc). Otherwise your sibling will have to make an application of an Australian visa independently either through work, skills or study.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I have been trying to find a way to bring my parents and sibling to immigrate to Australia, but had no much luck. I immigrated here 15 years ago and can't find the way under immigration law to bring my family to come and live here with me. I have been to few lawyers and it appears that the only way to bring them here is to pay in excess of $150,000 and this is only for parents as the sibling is another issue and even the money would not help me to bring him to Australia on permanent basis.
Is there a way that I can immigrate my family to Australia?
You mean a way that doesn't cost something like $150,000?
No, not really.

Those fees are set by the Government. The amount of money you are talking about is mostly made up of
the fees payable to the Government for visa applications.
It is important to understand that that sort of money is not just the fees you pay to lawyers or migration agents.

I tend to agree with @Mitchell Kelly - $150,000 is a low-end-to-reasonable estimate of what it would cost.