SA Immigration Law - Options for Partner to Come to Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sabby

11 January 2016
Hi,

I am on student visa doing masters in Adelaide. My partner is in India. What are the available options under Immigration Law by which here can get here as we want to get married here in Adelaide? I am thinking of him getting a tourist visa. Is there any fianceee visa available for him to apply?

I request you to please help. I cannot go to India and marry him as my parents are against our marriage, hence, I have to call him here.

Please help me.

S

Sophea

Hi Sabby,

Australia offers a prospective marriage visa, however you as the sponsor (the person the visa holder is in a relationship with) are required to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident - student visa is not enough.

How long do you want him to be in Australia for?

Reactions: sabby

sabby

11 January 2016
I will be finishing my masters in 2017, will get extension for two more years and after that I will be applying for PR. But I wish to call him here ASAP. Please suggest some way out.

S

Sophea

If you just want to be married in Australia, he can do that on a tourist visa, but it doesn't allow him to stay after the wedding. He would have to go home after his tourist visa expires unless he was eligible for another type of visa.

In order for foreigners to marry in Australia, you must be eighteen years old and both of you need to sign a Notice of Intended Marriage in front of a proper witness and lodge it with a celebrant, at least, one month and one day before the wedding. You will also need to sign Statutory Declarations that you are legally free to marry and you are giving your consent to your marriage freely.

You should confirm that an Australian marriage would be recognised in India first, I assume it would be.

Reactions: sabby