VIC If I Get a Divorce, Can I Marry Again?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


New Member
7 July 2015
Hi, my visa is PR (Permanent Residency). Just passed citizenship test. I separated with my Australian wife two months ago, now living alone in a different place (separation). If I get a divorce, then can I marry a Indian lady? And how long will it take to bring her to Australia?

Tracy B

Well-Known Member
24 December 2014
Hi Shiva,

As far as I know, you are free to marry as soon as divorce is finalised. To get a divorce in Australia, you need to be separated for at least 12 months and show that there is no reasonable likelihood that the marriage will reconcile. You need to prove separation or apply for a court declaration.

As for how long until you can bring your new wife to Australia, this will depend on when immigration grants her a visa. As you are an Australian citizen, or PR, you can sponsor your wife's visa (either partner visa or spousal visa). See the following articles from the Department of immigration for more information on visa requirements: