How to renounce Australian Permanent Residency?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
21 June 2020
My Australian PR was approved in 2012 and I am left Australia in 2014. This PR no longer allows me to travel to Australia. I don't have any tie with Australia and I'm NOT seeking a Resident Return Visa. Instead I'm only trying to visit Australia for tourism.

My question is: may I apply for a visitor's visa now? Some countries (like Canada) do not allow an ex-PR to apply for a visitor's visa unless he/she explicitly renounces the PR. Canada has a form to do it. Is this also the case for Australia? I'm not planning a trip to Australia in the near future, but I do not wish to be stumbled later when I do need to travel and renouncing it takes a looooong time.

Thanks.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What class of visa were you on?

21 June 2020
Thank you for your reply. It was 187. However, I have found an official answer at

Basically I can still apply for Visitor Visa without renouncing my PR, but according to the above link:

Returning to Australia without a permanent visa that has a valid travel facility (for example, entering Australia on an ETA or visitor visa) may impact both your:
  • entitlements as a permanent resident
  • ability to satisfy the permanent residence requirements when applying for Australian citizenship or when applying for another Resident Return visa.
So if I don't worry about PR any more (entitlements or future reinstatement/RRV), then I can just go ahead to apply for a Visitor Visa.

Terry Yun

7 July 2020
Thank you for your reply. It was 187. However, I have found an official answer at

Basically I can still apply for Visitor Visa without renouncing my PR, but according to the above link:

Returning to Australia without a permanent visa that has a valid travel facility (for example, entering Australia on an ETA or visitor visa) may impact both your:
  • entitlements as a permanent resident
  • ability to satisfy the permanent residence requirements when applying for Australian citizenship or when applying for another Resident Return visa.
So if I don't worry about PR any more (entitlements or future reinstatement/RRV), then I can just go ahead to apply for a Visitor Visa.
My Australian PR was approved in 2012 and I am left Australia in 2014. This PR no longer allows me to travel to Australia. I don't have any tie with Australia and I'm NOT seeking a Resident Return Visa. Instead I'm only trying to visit Australia for tourism.

My question is: may I apply for a visitor's visa now? Some countries (like Canada) do not allow an ex-PR to apply for a visitor's visa unless he/she explicitly renounces the PR. Canada has a form to do it. Is this also the case for Australia? I'm not planning a trip to Australia in the near future, but I do not wish to be stumbled later when I do need to travel and renouncing it takes a looooong time.

Thanks.
Good to know you have found a proper link for your question.
I think you can enter into Australia any time with visitor visa but once you obtain visitor visa, which will be deemed for you to abandon your PR.
Have a good day!