VIC How to Make a Home Insurance Claim under Insurance Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ihaveaquestion

23 September 2015
I am living in the ground floor of an apartment building, and suffered a water damage due to leaking gutter. Due to my location in the building and my being away from home for a couple of months, it took some months before I realized the damage to my walls and ceiling. Now I need to prove that the damage was due to one single insured event (leaking gutter is insurable), but I do not have prove on which date the rain would cause my damage.

How can I make a home insurance claim, say rain or wind in last a few months damaged gutter, and water flow down my apartment? How can I relate rain to my damage in last few months? Are there any precedent cases on Insurance Law I can study?

Thank you very much

S

Sophea

I would just say that in a rain or wind event of unknown date there was damage to your guttering causing internal water damage.

Ihaveaquestion

23 September 2015
My claim has been declined by the insurance company. I would like to sue the insurance company. However, due to the fact that the insurance policy is strata tile insurance policy through owners corporation (OC), where and how can I sue the insurance company? As OC does not want to sue insurance company, can I sue OC in VCAT with the insurance company as 2nd respondent or directly sue the insurer (but I do not have a direct contract with the insurer), as I believe the insurance company should settle the claim.