LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC How to Make a Home Insurance Claim under Insurance Law?

Discussion in 'Insurance Law Forum' started by Ihaveaquestion, 23 September 2015.

1. Ihaveaquestion

Ihaveaquestion Active Member

I am living in the ground floor of an apartment building, and suffered a water damage due to leaking gutter. Due to my location in the building and my being away from home for a couple of months, it took some months before I realized the damage to my walls and ceiling. Now I need to prove that the damage was due to one single insured event (leaking gutter is insurable), but I do not have prove on which date the rain would cause my damage.

How can I make a home insurance claim, say rain or wind in last a few months damaged gutter, and water flow down my apartment? How can I relate rain to my damage in last few months? Are there any precedent cases on Insurance Law I can study?

Thank you very much

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

I would just say that in a rain or wind event of unknown date there was damage to your guttering causing internal water damage.

3. Ihaveaquestion

Thank you for that

4. Ihaveaquestion

My claim has been declined by the insurance company. I would like to sue the insurance company. However, due to the fact that the insurance policy is strata tile insurance policy through owners corporation (OC), where and how can I sue the insurance company? As OC does not want to sue insurance company, can I sue OC in VCAT with the insurance company as 2nd respondent or directly sue the insurer (but I do not have a direct contract with the insurer), as I believe the insurance company should settle the claim.