VIC Storm Damage - Claim on My Insurance or Landlord's Insurance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

HMFWD

21 August 2014
Recently during high winds a branch from a tree in my back yards was carried into the next door neighbours property damaging an old clothes line, the house is a rental and the property owner is wanting me to pay for a new clothes line either by claiming on my home insurance ($300 excess) or paying myself. Do I have to pay or should the landlord claim on his own insurance?

vk4dcm

10 October 2015
Recently during high winds a branch from a tree in my back yards was carried into the next door neighbours property damaging an old clothes line, the house is a rental and the property owner is wanting me to pay for a new clothes line either by claiming on my home insurance ($300 excess) or paying myself. Do I have to pay or should the landlord claim on his own insurance?
You are not able to claim on your insurance, he will have to cover the cost or claim on his insurance. I had a tree fall on a tenant's can on my rented property and my insurance wouldn't pay and advised him to claim on his own insurance.