VIC How to choose a family lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeremy.

9 October 2023
Hi everyone,

Just separated from my ex and she has decided to engage a family lawyer for asset split.

I have met with a lawyer and paid for an initial appointment today. However, the feeling I got from her was that she was only interested in getting my money, not giving me advice. In a 1:30-minute meeting, all she said was that I had to transfer money to their trust first.

How do you choose a family lawyer who puts people first? It's already a stressful situation for me as it is.

Who did you choose to represent you as a family lawyer and how did they charge for a simple case?

Thanks

CSFLW

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
24 September 2018
Apart from the topic of fees, you need to feel comfortable with the lawyer.

The lawyer, as we can also suggest, needs to feel they can work with the client.

This rings true, especially in Family Law matters where the parties are under personal and financial stresses.

Let us know what you think?

wally_

26 October 2023
Agree with CSFLW, you should trust your Gut. If you feel uncomfortable or believe the lawyer is only interested in money, it might be wise to look for another lawyer. Your lawyer should prioritise your best interests.
I used to meet Waller Lawyer in Brisbane which maybe can help you, the way they help me.

sammy01

27 September 2015
My advice - self represent. At least initially. Only use solicitors when in court. The size of the asset pool is another factor.

Story time - Ex had legal aid.... I didn't. I paid a scolicitor. We did mediation. Cost a few grand BUT got everything sorted everything... SWEET. But then the ex changed her mind. Wanted more. I was getting letters sent to my solicitor and the solicitor was charging me to read them and write responses.... ALL $$$$ lots of it... I was going broke fast. So I sacked the solicitor and started writing back to the ex's solicitor myself. The ex was living in the family home and I was paying the mortgage. I could not afford for this to continue and my ex was sitting pretty in a house with me paying the bills. So I stopped paying the mortgage, I stopped paying solicitors.

I wrote to her solicitor offering a very fair asset division (that included arrangements for me to spend time iwth the kids.) and advised her solicitor that if she didn't want to accept the offer then she needs to apply to court BUT I will not be making any more mortgage payments.

My thinking was IF th eex filed for court - that is when you spend $$ on solicitors.