TAS How to Avoid Getting Charged for Centrelink Fraud?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jontyjom

16 June 2019
Hello,

I am being investigated for Centrelink fraud because I had deliberately under-declared my income for a number of years. I am pretty sure my debt is going to be around $40000, if not a bit more. Is there any way possible to avoid being charged?

If I make a large lump sum payment of about $25000 - $30000 off the debt and arrange a payment plan for the remainder, would this help me avoid a jail sentence? I was a single mother of 2 at the time I started defrauding Centrelink and was struggling financially as my youngest child's father had left me with a lot of debt and I have been battling severe depression ever since.

In the last couple of months, I have entered a new relationship and my new partner is trying to help pay out my large debt to Centelink and I am seeing a financial counsellor to sort out all my other debts.

I am in a job that I love and just can't believe how stupid I have been. I am scared that my children will have no one if I go to jail as my youngest child's dad has nothing to do with her.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I am so embarrassed and ashamed of what I have done. I am so scared I am going to lose everyone and everything!
My friend went through this

If this is your first offense you won't go to jail bit you will get a suspended jail sentence and a criminal record, my friend had a suspended jail sentence for 3 months

Danielle Pearson

28 July 2018
My friend went through this

If this is your first offense you won't go to jail bit you will get a suspended jail sentence and a criminal record, my friend had a suspended jail sentence for 3 months
That’s not right at all?
It’s dependant I’m so many factors and first offence or not you are NOT guaranteed suspended sentence or no jail

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Can someone please message me? I’m going through the same thing.
All you have to do is pay your dues!!!! what is so hard to understand, you have defrauded me!!!! I pay taxes.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Another bump? This thread just won't die.

Can someone please message me? I’m going through the same thing.
That's not how this site works. This is a public forum, therefore you need to create your own thread if you want help.