'Housewife' Instead of 'Retired' Classification in Will

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Blossom

6 June 2014
Hi. My elderly mother who is retired and widowed and lives in her own home, has just had her Will signed by two JP's (justice of the peace), however I now note that instead of "Retired" her status says "Housewife". Is this acceptable in her situation? Thank you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Which state are you in?

Who changed it?

Are you suggesting that because she is widowed, she should not put "housewife"?

Blossom

6 June 2014
1. In QLD.
2. It was not changed, her Will has always said "housewife", but I hadn't noticed or thought about it until now.
3. No it is not that, I read that if widowed one can put "housewife", however the information pertained to younger women who looked after children at home. She is elderly and on her own.
Thank you.

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Hi Blossom,
My understanding is that this is not an issue and won't affect the legal validity of her will.
Essentially, classification of someone's status/occupation was used by the Court to distinguish people (eg, Jane Doe the housewife from Jane Doe the banker). Just because your mother is now widowed and no longer working doesn't mean she needs to change her classification from housewife to something else like 'retired widower'. And it was just pointed out to me that women never retire (especially from the housework), only men do! :)

So as long as she was of sound mind when making the will and the JP's were satisfied everything was in order, signed, witnessed and binding, then it should all be fine.

Reactions: John R

Blossom

6 June 2014
Hi Worldly1
Excellent! Thank you so much for the information, and the good news.
And the bad news … even though I realise my mother still does housework, I had not thought about it from my point of view - that I may have many many years of housework to come … ;o).
Thanks again.