QLD House mate moved out and not paying rent

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sue Cee

6 July 2018
After a polite request to my housemate regarding entertaining on a Sunday evening and cleaning common areas after their use, the house mate has stopped paying rent. They have moved most things belonging to them from the house. They also have not paid the money owing on shared electricity, water and internet bills. Refusing to reply to emails about rent and seems to have moved out. Their name is on the lease. They requested I find someone to fill their room and I have advertised on several websites but have had no suitable replies. Please advise on my legal standpoint on recovering rent and utilities costs. Note: I did not ask them to leave - this was their decision.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is your name on the lease? Anyone else on the lease?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
OK. Now you either have to:

1. Find someone to replace her and when you do send a demand letter for payment for what you believe the other person owes, or

2. Stay by yourself and send a demand letter now with what is owed as you'll forgive them the rest of the lease period.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well, what normally happens when someone stops paying rent? They get evicted, but that process can be allot of trouble, in your case, they seem to have evicted themselves, well and good for you!