Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

WA Give Way Sign - Traffic Offence

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Ranjeet, 4 July 2014.

1. Ranjeet

Ranjeet Member

Hello
    Can you pls advice me on below listed issue
    I was driving on 20 km per hour speed limit zone and when I approached intersection which was give way I stopped then decided to go then I saw a car coming from my left hand side so I stopped again but my car's tyre hit the give way line but didn't cross the line ,unfortunately it was a police car he asked me to pull in front of him and gave me 3 demerits with 150 fine . Can I take matter to court ?
    What are the chances?

2. winston wolf

winston wolf Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. John R

John R Well-Known Member

From a practical perspective, you can argue any traffic infringement notice but unless you self-represent and win, your legal fees (and if you lose, paying the prosecution's costs) are likely to significantly exceed the $150 fine. Which state/territory are you in?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ranjeet

Ranjeet Member

Thanks I am in Perth

5. Ranjeet

Ranjeet Member

No
    Nothing was there to block my view

6. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Absent any other factors (like running out of demerit points - do they have those WA?),
    and assuming you can afford it, I agree with the others.
    Pay the fine and get on with your life.

John R likes this.
  7. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Or represent yourself in court. You can represent yourself, though don't like your chances.