Getting a DVO dropped

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MaryG

7 January 2024
I spoke to a police officer about me constantly contacting my ex who dumped me via text. I did not realise that a DVO was going to be served on me. The police officer told me she was ordering a temporary protection which when it was served on me was a DVO. This absolutely destroyed me. I would never hurt this person and if the police officer had just left at "do not contact them again or else" I absolutely would have. My question is it worth getting a lawyer and trying to get it dropped. The relationship we had was we'd be good for a while, break up, I'd be ignored for a few weeks of me trying to occasionally contact her then I'd give up and she'd reach out.... She has now reached out and it absolutely broke having to ignore the call... Please give me some advice... I'm absolutely broken....

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
In what State do you live?

DVO laws are State based.

MaryG

7 January 2024
In what State do you live?

DVO laws are State based.
Qld. I deleted her number when the police officer rang me but the aggrieved rang me this morning and I didn't recognise the number and when I realised who it was I said I couldn't talk to her because of the DVO and hung up. Is that considered a breach - I genuinely had no idea it was her number

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is that considered a breach
No, but be careful.

There are ways to vary/revoke the current order and the easiest is for the ex to do it. Trouble you have is you can't talk to her to tell her.

Is there an exception in the order that allows you to communicate through a lawyer?

MaryG

7 January 2024
No, but be careful.

There are ways to vary/revoke the current order and the easiest is for the ex to do it. Trouble you have is you can't talk to her to tell her.

Is there an exception in the order that allows you to communicate through a lawyer?
Unfortunately not and I can't (and won't) reach out to mutal friends.... I don't think this was her wishes I feel like she was seeing someone knew who made her go to the police but anyway it's done now so I have to live with it and hope that the police don't find out I answered HER call....