Get rid of Cloudflare please

Discussion in 'The Pool Room' started by Scruff, 9 June 2019.

1. Scruff

Scruff Well-Known Member

At around 4:30 AM this morning, CloudFlare began blocking me from posting for no reason. You really need to question whether using that rubbish is worth it.

From someone with IT qualifications, I can tell you that some of these so called services are well known for causing more problems for genuine users than preventing attacks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Scruff

Scruff Well-Known Member

Okay - a little testing (submitting one paragraph of my post at a time then deleting it) revealed that CloudFlare was blocking my post because it contained an equals sign:

After I changed that to the following, it worked:
    Given that this is a secure site (https) and all form data is encrypted, the only way that CloudFlare can block posts based on the content is if they're decrypting the form data submitted to your server - in which case this site has a very serious privacy issue.

Copy/paste the two lines above and change the two occurrances of the word "means" to an equals sign. Then hit "Post Reply" and see what happens.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Scruff, 9 June 2019
    Last edited: 9 June 2019
  3. lawanswers

lawanswers Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Scruff
    Thanks for your message. Cloudflare's content delivery network (CDN) and web application firewall (WAF) is a necessary requirement for any forum operator today to maintain a reasonable level of forum speed and to mitigate a growing number of attack attempts each day. Will work to reproduce the issue you've experienced and add an exception to the WAF. Thank you.