NSW Council Parking Fine - Plead Guilty for Court Attendance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JerryD

11 March 2015
Tim, why???
I didn't commit an offence?
Dont you think we should stand for our rights?
I am living in Australia....I do respect law & rules.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Because you did.
Because life is short.
Because ignorance is not a defence.
Because you will probably be unable to convince the court that there is a difference between sleeping in a car and camping.
And because you are unwilling to attend court anyway.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Too late?
Have you had the reminder notice yet?

JerryD

11 March 2015
Hi Tim,
got Court Attendance Notice with date of 14/4/15...
I think that is it.
Cant pay anymore???
thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
A Court Attendance Notice?
Well then, turn up to court (as you are required to do) and make your case to the Magistrate.

JerryD

11 March 2015
Tim, its 670km away. Both in NSW.
On State Debt Recovery site web it says
"we will send you CAN....matter is listed at the court nearest to where the offence occured.
If you want it moved you must contact court listed on the CAN"

It didnt say that I must plead guilty to have it moved!!!

thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yeah, I've been wondering about that myself.
Maybe ring the court again and ask to speak to the Registrar or Deputy Registrar,
and don't be satisfied with the word of some clerk.

Of course, you could retain a lawyer down there to represent you,
but that may cost more than the fine.

Reactions: Ozwarlock67

Stu

24 October 2016
Sorry, can't help you any more. I am in Victoria and don't know the applicable law in NSW. The information you provided doesn't tell me what law they are using. Hopefully someone else can help you.

I believe that Offence Code 9325 means failing to comply with a council erected sign under The N.S.W Local Goverment Act 1993.

I have also been advised that where it is legal to park it is legal to sleep in your vehicle in N.S.W under this same act.

Can someone please confirm this one way or the other as I have just bought a campervan and have been reading all the talk on this topic online? And to be honest, I'm scared and intimidated now and am considering selling my camper due to all the confusion of what we can and cannot do combined with there being no actual legal definition of what camping actually is.

I want to know where exactly it is written stating I can or cannot park or camp/sleep in my camper under this act or w under whatever act it is stated. Any help from knowledgeable people who know the laws pertaining to all this would be appreciated.

I am not experienced with law and find the act itself confusing and hard going to read. Some are saying that many of these no camping signs have been erected illegally, The N.S.W Local Government Act 1993 states that it is legal to sleep in your vehicle in N.S.W where it is legal to park.

Does anyone know where I can see it myself in law so that when I am camping or simply resting or parked I can pull out a pre-printed and laminated copy to defend myself, without this knowledge I cannot defend myself in anyway.