where do we start to go for custody

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Diannekj

4 May 2018
Hi my son is on parole after serving a six months jail term first time in jail.whilst in jail his wife just stopped answering his calls and would let him talk to his two children who are 3 and 2 he just didn’t want them toforget his voice.
Both family’s have been concerned for her as we had suspicions thatshe was using ice which has now been confirmed and she is going to rehab.
The of his girls wanted him to have them but her mother Has stepped in and taken the girls as she believes my son isn’t capable of having them which is untrue he is a wonderful father but he is in nswas part of his parole and the children are on the goldcoast.
My question is how do we got about getting custody for him as tyere are no custody orders in place and we are worried the her mother is going to apply for custody.
Any information where do we go and what do we do ?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, the short answer is to call Legal Aid and organise mediation.

But let’s consider long-term prospects here.

Why was Dad in jail?

sammy01

27 September 2015
You don't have much going for you unless he can get his parole conditions changed. That would be the first step.

Alternatively, mediation - call Relationships Australia.. If it doesn't work, then it is court... Chances of getting the kids moved from Grandma to him? Not great in my opinion... Sorry to be blunt but both parents have serious issues... Maternal Grandma doesn't (from what you've written) and she has a history of looking after them, your son doesn't

Diannekj

4 May 2018
You don't have much going for you unless he can get his parole conditions changed. That would be the first step.

Alternatively, mediation - call Relationships Australia.. If it doesn't work, then it is court... Chances of getting the kids moved from Grandma to him? Not great in my opinion... Sorry to be blunt but both parents have serious issues... Maternal Grandma doesn't (from what you've written) and she has a history of looking after them, your son doesn't
My son was still married and living with his wife and children when he was sentenced and still broke up with him while he was jail.
He has had the girls in nsw for a week since he has been out.

sammy01

27 September 2015
so call Relationships Australia first.
Call legal aid. They might help... Might not?

What is maternal grandma like? is she going to agree for the kids to move back to NSW? If you can't get an agreement then it is off to court. Chances of succeeding? look it would be wrong for anyone to express an opinion based on the info you've provided.