Freelancer.com - Is this even legal? KYC

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ankhotep

24 January 2020
Hello, I'll try to be short and explain briefly.

I work as freelancer in a Freelancing site, they hire me, or post a job, I do the job, I get fees charged, and I complete the job to get paid.

I've completed the job, and client released "funds", now, when requesting my funds, suddenly Freelancer.com cancelled the request, claming they must first check for client using a KYC, if they cannot verify KYC information they said, they will reverse the payment. But hold on, where's my sleepless hours invested? They're not protecting me as they claim they do. THey're middlemaning and charging me a fee so I safely start working because I know the money will be there by the time I've finished the job.

My earned money is now held by Freelancer.com, and Im beign positive waiting for them to finally verify my employeer to release funds.

We're a 5 start freelancers, providing a top quality product to our customers.

Last edited:

ankhotep

24 January 2020
I really need guidance, as This is unfair, is not my business if they werent unable to check KYC of the employeer. They are suppose to do so, that's one of the reasons they're charging, even before I can accept the "employeer's bid"... or job posting, not just after completed my job, just because they think they need.

I really want to SUE them, i've been dealing with this for 1.5 week now, family must eat, and I have one parent of mine, have diseases which I must provide medicines to. Unable to buy

LuisFreelance

23 December 2020
We are in the same situation, a client at Freelancer paid me in advance for a project after winning a "guaranteed" contest. The client never signed the contest transfer agreement so the contest funds cannot be released, then Freelancer withheld my funds, but did so after collecting the 10% commission from the project, and withdrew the total amount from the project, Forcing me to pay again the 10% that they had already taken from me, now Freelancer support tells me that the only thing I can do is wait for the client to finish the process of verifying their account, for which there is no time limit.