freelancer.com - Is this legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Madeleine

18 August 2019
Hi,
I signed up to the freelance plattform: freelance.com. It works in this way. You as a freelancer can bit on projects and if the recruiter accept the offer he gives you the project. In the moment you accept the offer freelancer.com charges you a project fee. If the recruiter ends the project or cancel it or whatever you have to pay the fee regardless if it was your decision or fault or not. Freelance.com told me that this fee is charged to the recruiter too. I was scamed by two projects. The recruiter decided not to go along with the project and stopped the communication. I have free trial account and to close it, I have to pay the fee, even if I didn't get payed at all. Is this system legal? How can I know, that the recruiter is not from freelance.com and just creating projects to scam the people and to get their money. What should I do? What would happen if I don't pay?
Thanks for your help.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is this system legal?

Without reading all the fine - probably.

How can I know, that the recruiter is not from freelance.com and just creating projects to scam the people and to get their money.

You do not unless you gather your evidence. Suspect it is unlikely

What should I do?

Consider it a cheap life's lesson. I know someone who lost 5 figures when a similar company went into administration.

You may have just gotten off to a bad start. Maybe these 'fees' need to be added to your prices so you are not out of pocket.

What would happen if I don't pay?

They will either chase you, or forget the debt. Either way they'll likely kick you off their platform.[/QUOTE]