Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
A freelancer or freelance worker is a term commonly used for a person who is self-employed and is not necessarily committed to a particular employer long-term. Freelance workers are sometimes represented by a company or a temporary agency that resells freelance labor to clients; others work independently or use professional associations or websites to get work.
While the term "independent contractor" would be used in a higher register of English to designate the tax and employment class of this type of worker, the term freelancing is most common in culture and creative industries and this term specifically motions to participation therein.
Fields, professions and industries where freelancing is predominant include music, writing, acting, computer programming, web design, translating and illustrating, and other forms of piece work which some cultural theorists consider as central to the cognitive-cultural economy.

View More On
  1. A - Is this even legal? KYC

    Hello, I'll try to be short and explain briefly. I work as freelancer in a Freelancing site, they hire me, or post a job, I do the job, I get fees charged, and I complete the job to get paid. I've completed the job, and client released "funds", now, when requesting my funds, suddenly...
  2. A

    VIC Copyright as paid freelancer (not employee)

    Hello I am hoping somebody can clarify my rights for me. I was paid as a contractor (with a registered ABN) to take photos of completed construction projects for a national Australian business. Copies of the photos have been provided to the client. There is no contract and no agreements as to...
  3. B

    NSW Working remotely on Student Visa

    Hi so the general rule for International student on temporary student visa is that you are allowed to work upto 40 hours every fortnight(Part time). My question is however can an International student currently studying in Australia work as a freelancer or for a company outside Australia...