LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC First DUI - Does It Take Long to Get Results?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by boston87, 4 August 2016.

1. boston87

boston87 Active Member

Hi there,

I was pulled over in early June and tested positive for methamphetamine. It's a first DUI for me and last! I wasn't on the drug when I was driving. I tried it for the first time few days before and thought it wouldn't be in my system; I was wrong :(

Anyway, the officer said the lab results take a few weeks, and he will call me with results. Firstly, ringing isn't normal procedure is it? And does it take this long for results ? I just want it to be over. I'm hoping for a traffic infringement notice. I don't want to go to court :(

2. Ponala

Ponala Well-Known Member

Coppers ring all the time. Be just telling you the result is in and what you can expect. Yes can take a few weeks up to 3 months or more depending on the workload at the labs. First DUI is a penalty notice with a fine and loss of licence.

3. AlphaR1

AlphaR1 Active Member

It can take a few months. You might not get a phone call, you may just receive a field court attendance notice in the mail. If you're in NSW you'll be charged and have to go to court... not too sure about other states/territories.