WA Father never wanted child

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 July 2020
Perth
I'm recently pregnant with my ex's child. When he found out he tried to force me into an abortion and I decided against it, causing him to leave because "he wouldn't be forced into being a father". Two weeks later he has messaged me saying he misses me and wants this baby. I explained to him I can't be with him but he is 100% welcome to be apart of baby's life. Which he responded to with "I can't be the father I should be unless I'm with you so no I don't want anything to do with it".

I am just wondering, if he is NOT listed on birth certificate does he have any legal right to bubs?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yes, no and maybe.
So with his name on the birth certificate, you will have an easier time with child support and family tax benefit. The govt expects dads to pay child support and I think they expect mum's to know who the dad is... Sure there is the occasional one night stand, but on the whole people know who they're shagging. The govt might make getting family tax benefit a bit tricky without a father.

That said, no dad on birth certificate doesn't mean he's not the dad. If for example he wanted to apply to court for access to the child he could, even without name on certificate.

When would it help to not have dad listed? applying for a passport for the kid is about the only thing I can think of... So in 7 yrs you wanna take the kid to Bali. You'll need dad's signature to get a passport, or seek an exemption.

My advice - put the dad's name on the birth certificate... Apply for child support. You do the crime you do the time (pretty bad metaphor - but you see my point) AND leave the door open for dad to change his mind and encourage dad to be there for the kid.