NSW Father Left Me His Estate - Change My Will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

lois

23 July 2015
I made my will ten years ago and am happy with it. I have always been single and do not have any children.
I have left money to my family but the bulk goes to my next of Kin who has been helping me my whole life and now that I am in a nursing home, he is the one who does everything and has power of attorney..

My father passed away last year and has left me his estate.

Do I need to do a new will as some people are telling me because things have changed?

The new will if made would be exactly the same as the old.

Thank you.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
If the estate you inherited included property and you intend to keep it you may want to update your will. Otherwise it will become part of your residuary estate.
If that's OK then the old will will do.

lois

23 July 2015
Thank you for your answer.

Could you please explain how a codicil works? If $5,000 is left to a certain person to look after her sister who has now died, does the will need to be rewritten or have a codicil or there is no need to do anything. Can this certain person, having her name mentioned but not being a beneficiary contest?

Thank you

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Hi Lois

Could you re phrase the question please? I'm having trouble following.
Perhaps an example?

lois

23 July 2015
Hi Winston,
This is the exact wording of the will
"I give and bequeth the sum of $5,000.00 to ....x....to be held in trust by her sister.....y....for her care, welfare and benefit absolutely"

Y has now passed away.

When the owner of the will dies can y ask to see the will as her name has been mentioned even though she is not a beneficary?
The owner of the will hates y and is worried she will contest and cause trouble. Would it be better to have a new will done or can a codocil be done.?
Thank you

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
If Y has died she can't ask for anything?
Do you see my confusion?