QLD Domestic Violence - What to Do with Unstable Partner?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stuck

23 December 2016
Hi,

Need serious help.

What happened today:

I'm sitting in the lounge with my son who is 14 months old and my partner is in the bedroom. I hear objects banging and don't immediately think any thing of it. Next thing she comes into the lounge clearly in a mood. She does suffer depression and anxiety and is prone to fits of rage.

She starts swearing and carrying on about everything and anything. I try calming her down and talking to her, but she is fly off, throwing things around the lounge smashing things down, throwing over tables.

I pick up my son who naturally gets very scared and upset. Still I'm trying to calm her, try reminding her that he is in the room and she is scaring him. Next thing she walks up to me presses a clenched fist to my nose and says 'I will smash your f$%king face in'. This all while I have our son in my arms.

Finally she calms down somewhat, and I try talking her through it. She agrees she just loses control and in her own words is 'mentally unstable'.

I don't know what to do. She has no family in Australia although she is an Australian citizen. No job or source of income other than me. She tells me that if I leave her she will run away to her family in NZ with our boy. She openly stated that she will forge my signatures if need be to obtain him a passport.

She flat out refuses any form of joint custody of children, she will take my boy is her attitude.

I'm just lost? If I had lost it like she did I would be had up for domestic violence and lost all chance with my boy. Does the law not work both ways?

MartyK

4 June 2016
I would suggest that if this is an unsafe situation for you and the child that you consider moving out with the child. Perhaps you have family you can stay with?

If I had of lost it like she did I would be had up for domestic violence and lost all chance with my boy

This is not at all correct.

You state nothing about you contacting the police, which is akin to many other domestic violence sufferers. In that, perhaps like you (?) their experiences of violence far exceed that of only the one instance prior to the point where they finally take action.

There is nothing in any current legislation that differentiates between the sexes. In fact, I know of men who have also taken out violence orders against a partner/spouse.

In the Family Courts, a violence order does not always lead to a parent not seeing their child. Decisions are made on all of the facts.

Stuck said:
Does the law not work both ways?

Yes it does.

Is her depression and anxiety being treated?