VIC Family Law - Leave Out Some Info from Disclosure Documents?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
My ex is seeking the last 5 years of my documents. I have a Family Violence Intervention Order due to a long history of domestic violence and threats made to me particularly in the months just before I left earlier last year. On my bank statements, it has my address and employer details when my pay is deposited into my account. I'm assuming that there is no issue with me blacking out with permanent marker these details? I'm also concerned that the names of places I shop at are available for him to see. Do you think it is reasonable for me to black these names out as well? I would leave the amounts spent.

I'm also curious as to what information is used from my financial documents in family law? For example, I know they want to know how much money I have and when I had it, how much I earn and any other amounts deposited or withdrawn so that we can try and come to an agreement with how the property is settled. But is there any other information that they are looking for from the disclosure documents?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi SamanthaJay, I don't have any direct family law experience but in other types of cases its perfectly fine to black out irrelevant personal information from discoverable documents. I don't think that where you shop would be relevant, but I'd be interested to hear what some of our family experts say :)