NSW Family Law Initiating Application - How to Complete as Respondent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

littlehelpplease

27 September 2014
Hello all,
I've been served with an Initiating Application (family law court) by my wife's lawyer who are the applicants. I had a look at the federal circuit website and download the Initiating application which contains orders sort etc.

I have completed it however I am not entirely convinced I have the correct template as I am the respondent. For example should the applicants name be my wife's and should I list myself as the respondent throughout the document/template or do I need to find a respondents template?

Thank you in advance.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The Federal Circuit Court website has a 'Response' form which can be found here.

With your response, you will also need to file a Affidavit as supporting evidence for the orders you seek. A template for this can be found here.

Throughout proceedings, you will be known as the 'respondent'. Your wife will be known as the 'applicant'.

Reactions: Amanda E

littlehelpplease

27 September 2014
Cool.
I have completed my affidavit and financial statement but as I got to the end of the Initiating Application template which include orders sort (on my part) it became a little confusing but thanks for clearing it up.
just one other question, on her intiating application there is a page (part k) where there is an applicant 1 and applicant 2 statement of truth where you sign as being truthful she has signed applicant 1 on her's and I am wondering should I sign applicant 2 on mine???
Thank you in advance

littlehelpplease

27 September 2014
Oh and if I am seeking final orders to get the matter over and done with can I leave the interim orders section blank?

Amanda E

9 April 2014
Hi - if you're just seeking final orders, then you just fill out that section. You can contact the Court's Family Law enquiry line: 1300 352 000 if you have questions about the Court forms.

Reactions: Sarah J

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi,

I agree with Amanda, contact the court to clarify.

But briefly, I do not think you should be signing as "applicant 2" as you are the respondent and not applicant in her application. Secondly, it is up to you whether you wish to seek interim orders (temporary) or not. If you are happy with seeking a final order, then don't fill that part in. You can seek the same in interim and final (e.g. injunction)

littlehelpplease

27 September 2014
Thank you for the legal answers. You are right Sarah J, I found the correct template as a respondent. Luckily I have got representation now and we are going to resubmit my documents before the interim hearing.

Reactions: Sarah J

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm glad you found representation and it's all moving forward. Best of luck with the case.