WA Family law Forum-Western Australia

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dean Norwest

26 March 2018
Hi,

Ex defacto seeking financial settlement. My only asset is 1/3 share in a commercial property,the remainder is owned by my elderly parents. Initially her claim far exceeded the value of the property,which i thought to be an ambit claim.Now she is instigating mediation in which she wants my parents to attend.I should also add that the property is my place of residence and my sole source of income.
I really don't want to put my parents through any more stress,but unsure of my legal position.

Remote W.A

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The property split is between your ex and you, no-one else.

Is your ex attempting to settle without inconvenience to your parents, or attempting to convince them they need to move because she wants the property? If it's the former reason that's being thoughtful. If it is the latter reason tell her 'no' but don't get into an argument with her. No point arguing as it will only harden her resolve. Likely better just being firm in your refusal to involve another party without being emotional.

Complications can arise if there is some kind of commercial/contractual agreement in place to which your parents and ex may both be involved. This matter is separate to your property split, but can be related to it and in some unusual situations it may make sense to have your parents attend mediation if there's another related contract/agreement that needs reworking.

Reactions: Dean Norwest

Dean Norwest

26 March 2018
Many thanks for your personal opinion,It appears my ex is trying to drag my parents into the fray,Writing to them ,portraying me in less than flattering light,citing financial hardship,urgent dental work and that i denied her a child.
All this while working FIFO on a mine site.