Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Family Law - Ex Hiding Funds - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Radiation, 24 May 2016.

  1. Radiation

    Radiation Member

    1 December 2014
    Likes Received:
    After submitting her financial disclosures, my ex sold one of her properties. The value of the propery was mentioned lower than the actual value and sold it for a higher value. In addition, the ex claims that the money from the property is in an account, which she is not signatory.

    This obviously is a deliberate act to hide the funds from the common pool. What's the right approach to make the ex bring those funds into light under family law?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Radiation,

    In these situations, it's best to get help from an experienced family lawyer to uncover any deception regarding assets and funds. The court is harsh on people who lie under oath regarding their financial position. There may be a lot of information that you have as an ex partner which you have gathered over many years of marriage which could be valuable and which you can put into your affidavits.

    Experienced lawyers can follow up on such leads and search public records at the Land Titles Office and the Australian Securities Commission or even hire a forensic accountant to analyse the figures they have disclosed. They can also issue a subpoena to test out the sworn statement of the partner or demand production of all relevant financial records for inspection.

    Get copies of every financial document that you can such as share certificates, bank statements or financial statements of family businesses. Banks are often a great source of information in statement of assets and liabilities documents or applications for loans in which a persons financial position tends to be amplified.

Share This Page