Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Family Court - Respondent Refusing to Accept Documents?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Jace, 22 March 2016.

  1. Jace

    Jace Well-Known Member

    5 January 2016
    Likes Received:
    I'm running my own parenting family orders court case against my ex. It's very expensive to have a serving company serve her with court documents, and I don't have any of my family or friends who are willing to do it for me.

    The family court has said the other option is that I can post them to her by registered post. So I have.

    But when they're delivered to her by the postman, she refuses to accept it, and they're returned to me.

    What happens now? If she's refusing to accept them, what am I supposed to do? I'm not allowed to hand them to her myself, I can't afford to pay someone else to do it, none of my friends or family are willing to do it, and she's refusing to accept them from the postman.
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    I'd say you're probably going to have to hire a process server or try again with friends/family, and continue trying to serve her with the application at least up until the first hearing. Unfortunately, service is an important step in proceedings and failure to serve the respondent may result in proceedings being delayed.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page