VIC Family Court - Respondent Refusing to Accept Documents?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jace

5 January 2016
Melbourne
I'm running my own parenting family orders court case against my ex. It's very expensive to have a serving company serve her with court documents, and I don't have any of my family or friends who are willing to do it for me.

The family court has said the other option is that I can post them to her by registered post. So I have.

But when they're delivered to her by the postman, she refuses to accept it, and they're returned to me.

What happens now? If she's refusing to accept them, what am I supposed to do? I'm not allowed to hand them to her myself, I can't afford to pay someone else to do it, none of my friends or family are willing to do it, and she's refusing to accept them from the postman.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I'd say you're probably going to have to hire a process server or try again with friends/family, and continue trying to serve her with the application at least up until the first hearing. Unfortunately, service is an important step in proceedings and failure to serve the respondent may result in proceedings being delayed.