NSW Family Court - Mum Entitled to Know Full Names of Lodgers?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AllForHer

23 July 2014
What is she seeking in the way of parental responsibility?

Lennon

11 September 2014
If his ex is going to be that unreasonable I don't think he will be able to avoid court. I would suggest that he gets right on with it.

In my case my ex was being extremely unreasonable (she has only agreed to our children seeing me once or twice a year since separation, and only at my expense). I didn't want to put myself or others through the court process so delayed far too long before starting the proceedings. The judge has expressed some criticism of my delay. I

Lennon

11 September 2014
And the ex doesn't get to dictate the living arrangements in dad's house. So long as the children are properly cared for and provided for, she has no say.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Agree with the above. Go to court asap and get interim orders.

The mum has no right to dictate to the father. Once the lodger and bed situation is sorted it will just be some other issue. Pandering to the mother is likely to make her worse. Bite the bullet and head to court.

sammy01

27 September 2015
allforher.... sole parental responsibility hasn't been mentioned and nor should it... He had 2 and sometimes 3 nights a fortnight. Until he moved in with a new partner. It has taken me nearly 2 yrs to convince this guy to apply to court, but he is already regretting it as she has become all the more horrible since being served...

Kids are 4 and nearly 6...

Rod, you're right pandering to her has made her worse, changing tact and becoming assertive worse again. She has a solicitor and is spending crazy money. The last proposal was for no increased time with the kids and a binding financial agreement until the kids are 18 where he continues to pay 30% above current CSA and this continues regardless of change of care arrangements... Madness. Some solicitor is getting rich of the woman's craziness

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
He can't fix his problem by himself, despite whatever agreement he might try to come up with. Court will be painful, but likely to be less so than another 14 years of dealing with an unreasonable person without court orders.

Tell him to man up, his kids deserve better.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, if she's not seeking sole parental responsibility, then she obviously doesn't have any genuine fears about the kids being in dad's care. At least, that's how the Court usually sees it.

You and I both know that mum is being unreasonable, as we can both reasonably speculate that the Court isn't going to take well to it.

But dad needs to follow through on the Court process. He's not seeing much of the kids as is, and she's not seeking sole parental responsibility, so it's not like he's going to get less time, and he really has nothing to lose in such circumstances, does he? Besides, he probably won't ever get to trial. Proceedings do have a funny way of motivating people to change their tune, after all, especially if after a couple of interim hearings, things still aren't going their way.

sammy01

27 September 2015
he is only after alternate weekends building up to 5 a fortnight.
first hearing is in October..

affidavit is child focused, except for some of the obvious. She has done some crazy stuff, like asking him to meet for the kids to have additional time, but then not showing up and not telling him..

So any advice I can forward on to him would be much appreciated.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
How old are the kids?

What distance do they live apart?

What care arrangements were in place before he moved in with his partner?

sammy01

27 September 2015
kids 4-6. live in the same suburb - 15 min apart.
He has had overnights up to 3 nights in a row and an established history of 2 nights fn with eldest, 1 night with youngest. Been separated for 3 yrs. most of that time he spent weekends at her house on the couch as she would not let the kids out of her sight..

There was a 8 mth period of overnight care until he moved in with the new partner and filed for court. Once he moved in with new partner ex refused overnights, hence court.

Any thoughts on 5 a fortnight based on that info...
Ex will claim everything, violence, disabled kids, blah blah

Is it likely he will get overnights from first interim hearing?