Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD False Domestic Violence Order Left Me Homeless - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Whiteboy1606, 2 June 2016.

  1. Whiteboy1606

    Whiteboy1606 Member

    2 June 2016
    Likes Received:
    My wife had a Domestic Violence Order put on me with false allegations. The court ordered me to move out of our home which has left me homeless and hungry. I have no money to get into a place, no money for food. She has ample money in the bank to help me but refuses. I'm struggling bad until today. I hadn't eaten in four days, I've left with nothing except for my car with clothes in it.

    There must be a law to tell her to help me, especially when there is ample money in the bank.
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    There is no law which can be enforced immediately that says your former spouse must support you. My suggestion to you is to speak to the Department of Human Services about payments available to you in your circumstances.

    You will be entitled to a portion of shared assets in a property settlement and you may apply for spousal maintenance. I suggest contacting Legal Aid for a free consultation regarding legal advice.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    Stop paying for anything to do with the family home. So I'm assuming you're working? Go to a friend's house or a men's shelter if you need. Sadly, at this point, you have limited options. You could go to the local police station and ask them to contact her to make a time for them to escort you to your house to collect some belongings, but if she says no then you're stuffed...

    If you're not working, then you could be entitled to some financial assistance, so go to the local Department of Human Services Office. If you have kids - call Relationships Australia for help in organising for you to get to see your kids. Might work, might not...

    Mate, I went to St Vincent de Paul to buy some clothes, I bought socks and undies from Big W and I slept in the car/friends places. Worst days of my life. But things will improve, you just have to start making good decisions to make it work.

    So one absolute golden rule - do not go near her. If she calls you up, do not answer. Refuse all communication.

    Why? Well, there are lots of men in jail whose crime was to agree to talk to their wife while they had an AVO against them. So if she calls you up and asks you to come to the house to discuss things and you go, you have broken the law. If you go to the house and she calls the cops you will go to jail.

Share This Page